Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All Things I Need to Know in Life I Learned From My Mom Part II

I previously noted the wonderful teachings of Mags, but was prompted to write more when another "mother" of mine called me Erwin. (Dar, I had completely forgotten about that name until I saw your comment on Julz's blog...

For my previous post please click here

Here are some additional Magisms:

You only have one reputation; protect it. Mothers and daughters can be friends. Don't confuse "I can't" with "I won't." Make lists, and lists of lists if necessary. Don't LOSE the list. Just because everything appears to be organized and in a tabbed folder doesn't mean you can find it when you need it. There is no such thing as a "safe spot." There is nothing graceful about getting old. Just because a person is a paraplegic doesn't mean you can beat them in table tennis. The "Star Spangled Banner" doesn't begin with "Jose Can you see." Everything looks brighter after a "catnap." Don't let your Waterford crystal sit on a shelf and gather dust- use it even if it's only for a spritzer.

If you fall, don't wait for someone to help you get up... especially if it means waiting until the next day. Be independent, people will not line up to wipe your ass when you're old. There is no limit to a mother's love. "Flip the switch" and commit yourself to whatever it is you're doing. You are your own worst critic. Weisgarber women inherently worry about everything. You can teach an old bag new tricks.

Be humble enough to laugh at yourself when you make mistakes. Allow yourself to lean on your friends when needed.

Remember the day-to-day moments you share with the ones you love; when they're gone, this is what will flood your heart with warmth.

Love ya, Mom. Jose singing and all...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may print this out and put it in my cube. I love it. That's really inspirational on a night like tonight after a day like I've had. Thanks so much. :)

Anonymous said...

I too echo GoW's comments. I was actually having a great day till I got into a horrible fight... with my mother :) You can e-mail me sometime if you wanna hear the gory details, but it's nice to be reminded that mothers (normally) have a lot of wisdom...

Type Writer AKA Jamaican Boy in a Funk this evening...

myersen said...

GOW and JB- I'm sorry to hear of both of you having a crappy time of it. - Hope today brings new joy and smiles.

JB fighting w/ the madre is the worst... I always feel awful when my mom and I aren't on the same page.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts and the e-mail, E. My mom is kinda like War and Peace personified: the fights are horrid, but they always blow over and she goes back to being nice again. The thing I have to recognize is when I can't win and just walk away. My brother's better at that, but that might be because he's a bit more self-centered :)