Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm Afraid I can be this Stupid



I have a friend who is a wonderful, sarcastic, unassuming guy who is 15 years my senior. One of my favorite discussions with him went as follows:

"Erin, you know, sometimes when you speak you project some of the most insightful and intelligent ideas and I marvel at how brilliant you can be for such a young age... And then at other times, you are completely clueless to things that should be obvious."

I laughed over this, as it is true. I am a recent owner of the Blackberry Curve. When trying to link my personal email w/ my Blackberry, I stumbled typing my password. I know this is not correct to say, but I have 3 passwords that I use, and I've had them each for 10 or more years. Why is it when I was trying to sync my email, I inappropriately capitalized a letter OVER 20 TIMES! After my 5th attempt, I started keeping track. It went even so far as me going to my regular computer and being completely dumbfounded becuase I could access it on my PC.

Oh God, I'm turning into my mother. In all other accounts, that's a good thing... but not here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if screwing up a mixed-case password, even a familiar one, qualifies you for the short bus. It's the stuff we feel we don't have to think about that we tend to forget. One time in my 20s I stood in front of an ATM and could not for the life of me remember the PIN I'd been using for a couple years. I took my card back and got all the way to my car before it came back to me. So I must be on your level of stupid :)

Type Writer
p.s. Your description of your friend sounds like it could be applicable to me, since I'm guessing you're in your mid-twenties, so the age difference might be the same... Not that you'd ever hear that from me :)

myersen said...

TW- bless you, though not far off, I turn 30 this year. I was 23 when the comment was made ;-)

I've also blundered my PIN to the point that the ATM has eaten my card....

Anonymous said...

I do this with passwords all the time and I always use the same one for things. I'm like you -- three or four passwords, and they're used for everything. I've had to change the password on one of my credit cards six times. Not even kidding. it's like every month I go to pay it online, i have to change the effing password.

Anonymous said...

When's your birthday? The Type Writer turns 41 at the end of September (I normally wouldn't blab my age, but MySpace does that, anyway :))

When I turned 30, I dated a woman who was 41, so that's about the same age difference... I'm just saying :)

TW

myersen said...

TW-The big 30 occurs during OSU VS Michigan week. I'm attempting to score some tickets by pulling the "that would be a great b-day present...." It's a great time to be in C-bus during football season.

Flirt. Didn't you call me out last week for my suggestive descriptions of food?

Anonymous said...

Erin,

You know I'm a Michigan grad, right? And it sounds like you're an Ohio native (from Columbus?), so I don't know if I can root for the presence of one more Buckeye in the stands for the Big Game, especially since we haven't won it in a few years... Unless, of course, you score me a ticket too and you don't mind sitting by a guy dressed in maize and blue :)

Flirt.

"It's only words/And words are all I have/To take your heart away" :)

Didn't you call me out last week for my suggestive descriptions of food?

Well, yeah, but I wasn't the one who introduced the phrase "gag reflex" into the conversation :) I think you should be restricted to eating bananas only in the form of smoothies (or daiquiris, if you will); that might be the only way to keep you out of trouble...

TW

myersen said...

TW- I will respectfully bow out of this as I see your prowess for this topic is stronger than my own. However, Bananas even in mashed up form, still elicit a gag reaction from me! I can't think of a better way to describe it.