Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Honor of George

It is no secret to most of you who know me very well, my father and I had an intricate relationship. Sometimes the only commonality shared between us was our passion for being stubborn and head-strong. It is because of this that we often found ourselves on opposite sides of the fence.

That being said, I never doubted my father loved me. I think sometimes he just didn't know how to show his love.

My father had a flare for life and expression. Always boisterous and ornery, he could fire out sentences to make you double over with laughter or cut you to the knees. He was a force to be reckoned with and never went down without a fight.

Even when he first became ill, he would not be tied down. I remember seeing him in the hospital with both of his legs and arms in restraints because he was determined to get up and walk out of the hospital. I remember the day before my birthday in 2005, it was one of my father's lucid days. My mom was visiting him in the hospital and she handed him the phone to talk to me. My father, who's speech was slurred from having a stroke, barked out, "Erin, you're the smartest one of the bunch, come up here and get me out!!!!" I howled with laughter. The next day, he was unresponsive and we all came up to say goodbye and let him go. But no, George wasn't ready. He still had 2 1/2 years to spend with his family.

It was hard on my mother, but in these 2 years, my father's eyes were opened. He became reacquainted with the amazing woman he married and marvelled at her grace and ingenuity. He was able to watch his son become a father again and spent quality time with his grandchildren. After 17 years, my entire maternal extended family reunited again partly becuase of him. I think one of his happiest times was x-mas of 2006 when most of our extended family was back in his house, under his roof, celebrating family x-mas eve together again as they had nearly 2 decades before.
Our family took one last trip to Oglebay where he got to see the next generation of children chase ducks, ride the paddle boats and tour the Good Zoo--- All things he started with his own children many years ago. Even in the end, he could still kick-ass in cards and was beating my mother only a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I hadn't spoken to my dad in the few weeks before his death. He would yell, "I love you" over the phone as I talking to my mom and I would shout it back, but that's about it. The last coversation was over a voiceamail he left me several weeks ago when I was in a car accident and missed my LSAT. He told me he loved me, that I was strong, I would get through this, and he was very proud of me.

On Saturday I will bury my dad. It will be a day of sadness, but it will be filled with love and laughter. Just like my dad.

1 comment:

Julie said...

thinking of you and your entire family, friend. What a beautiful post that put into great words the man your Dad was....especially to you. Even though gone, I know he will continue to have great affect on your life for many years to come. Thanks for sharing about him.