Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In Some Things

I'm headed back to the light-hearted side of life. The past few weeks have been wrought with craziness, and there's nothing like the comfort of routine. So, in the spirit of this, I'm going to write about my favorite topic.... My mother. There will be many more postings of the wondrous Mags, but I told this story the other night at dinner, and it went over well, so thus, I shall share with you.

Over the holiday season, my mother had some work done on her car. When she was about to wrap things up, the store manager came out and studied my mother quizzically.

"Mrs. M-. Are you the mother of Erin?"
"Why yes." my mother replied.
"Wow! Erin and I used to be pretty good friends back in Jr. High. I haven't seen her in years. What is she up to these days?"
My mother explained where I was currently living and working, etc.etc.
Now, I do remember this person. He went out with a friend of mine and we ran around together until the relationship fizzled with my friend.

The conversation continued.
"You know what I remember about, Erin? She was really friendly and intelligent."
With that, my mother cocked her head to one side and said, "yeah, in some things..."

IN SOME THINGS!?!?!? When Mags told me she had run into this person, I have to say I was kinda pleased he thought of me as being smart. I perceive this as one of the best compliments one can bestow upon me. So naturally when my mother finishes the story and doesn't say something like, "Thank you, yes, she works very hard." or "Yes, Thank you, we're so proud of her..." I'm speechless. This from the same woman who tried to argue with me that sometimes we get weather from the east. (I reasoned with her by asking when was the last time we got weather coming in from Pittsburgh...)

As I incredulously chastised my mother for her response, she explained she didn't want to appear boastful or arrogant. I reminded her a simple "thank you." would have been gracious, not boastful.

It appears the lesson behind this story is a mother's continual pursuit of instilling humility is never ending. If you ever feel you're getting to too big for your britches, have a chat with Mags. She'll set you straight.

1 comment:

Bibiana said...

A public declaration of love for Mags, and her honesty, especially since it was pointed out at said dinner that I am "honest" in similar ways at times - if I am a little like her at all, that is an awesome thing!

This is hilarious.