Thursday, March 13, 2008

T-Mobile

I am using this forum to publicly bash T-Mobile- A stand I am unaccustomed to taking.

I have never had T-Mobile cellular service, but when my identity was stolen, they used it to open a T-mobile family share plan. When the account was not paid, they ran my credit report and proceeded to send the bills to my address. This was how I found out I was a victim of Identity theft-- In some abstract way, I am thankful for this, as otherwise I would have had no clue this was occurring.

So, we are now 2 months in and I have successfully restored my credit back to where it was. I was even able to purchase a new car. (Yippee!!!) The only thing remaining was this stupid T-Mobile bill of 792.00 and they were refusing to deem the account as fraud.

Something to note- when applying for a service utility (such as a phone) you need to supply a photo ID. T-Mobile has all of this- the front-back of my social security card, and my driver's license. This verifies the person who used a fake ID to open the cellular account was not me.

My last instruction from T-Mobile was the fraudulent address and contact info was still on my credit report, and once I got it removed, they would deem it as fraud. On Monday, I received notification it has been changed and removed off my credit report.

Yesterday, I called T-Mobile and advised them of the same. I was then told I needed to file a police report naming a suspect and to send a utility bill verifying I didn't live at the address they have on file.

Alarm sirens blared in my head-- 2 problems.
1. I have already filed a police report, but have not named a suspect b/c I HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE WHO DID THIS.
2. The address they have on file IS MY REAL ADDRESS!!!! (how else would I have gotten the bill?!?!?)

As I calmly and rationally attempted to explain this to the fraud rep, I was advised this was my only course of action. Exasperated, I said, and I quote.."let me get this straight. You want me to file a police report, falsely accusing someone of stealing my identity and thereby committing a felony offense, AND send you a utility bill from the address where I currently live in order to prove I DON'T live there?"

I then became a little more forceful advising the $792.00 is small potatoes in comparison to the 19k of fraud that was on 1 of the 6 credit cards opened. I then asked why something as insignificant as a phone bill is the thorn in my side while $37k just magically disappeared of my credit as soon as the credit companies received my identity theft affidavit?

I was met with silence.

After a long pause the fraud rep asked if he could run an inquiry on my credit report. I gave him permission and he decided b/c I now have a "fraud victim alert" attached to my credit file for the next 7 years, he would erase the account and mark it as fraud.

I felt like I just one a boxing match- In 10 rounds. But alas, it is done! Yea!

No comments: