Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Life is like a game of Euchre...

I introduce to you the TRUMP CARD THEORY posed to me by my brother several years ago, and has reared it's ugly head yet again.

In the summer of 2004, I found myself in a familiar situation of having to move yet again. Up to that point, I had moved every year since the age of 18, why should this year be any different? In discussing my options with my brother, he blurted out I should come and live with him, his wife and 2 small children. I dismissed the idea as being absurd and laughed out loud. I think I off-handedly insulted my brother by my outburst, and what was once a suggestion made in jest, blew up into a dissertation of the benefits of living with his family. Though I quickly reminded him of my career and fairly affable income, my brother would not drop the subject. I also stated I was not in dire need of his generosity nor was I in any kind of crises, and again declined his offer. My brother then changed his tactics, positing that I am the type of person who will never need help, nor would I ask for it. He further illustrated his point by providing examples of when I have been of service to my friends or family in need. I agreed to his message thus far, which got his momentum going. It was then mentioned how I have earned all these favors, or "trump cards," from the people I have helped, but have never cashed in on them. His final message was that I'm going to end up old, sitting in my rocker on my porch with all these trump cards in my hand and no way to use them. I smiled and my heart warmed with love for my brother. I marveled how the prospect of gaining a live-in babysitter positioned my brother for this great diatribe.

We spoke little of this conversation since that time. I have retold it to friends and we have joked about it occasionally.... Two weeks ago while telling him about missing my LSAT and having the slight possibility to fly to Idaho to take the test, my brother sat back on his chair and said, "I guess this would be one of those times you could use one of your trump cards and get someone to go out there with you on this adventure...."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you know i'm down for cashing in on the million of trump cards i owe you...Cumberland MD, Shamrock Shake of 98...Idaho, ahoy! love the blog:)