Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Blonde Moment

As many of you know, I recently was a victim of identity theft. It took me several months to resolve, but the experience has been behind me now for a few months.

I have this problem; or weakness as you might say. Purses. I buy them. I love them. It is my one indulgence, and I keep it under tight control most of the time. I usually get the itch every 6 months or so, and I break down. I will not go into the detail on the amount of money I spend, but let's just say, my purses are not purchased at Target.

I got the itch a few days ago. I did some research and after careful consideration, I had one picked out. I waited an extra day to ensure this is what I wanted.

During yesterday's lunch, I headed over to the store, picked up the purse, and proceeded to follow through the process of purchasing said purse. Then this happened....

********CREDIT DECLINED****

"What?!?!?"
"It says 'credit declined'"
"Run it again."
"I'm sorry, it still says 'credit declined.'"
"What do you mean it's declined? I HAVE NO DEBT, a credit score above 780, AND I have an alert on my credit for the NEXT 7 YEARS... If something's jacked up with my credit, I WOULD KNOW!"

The poor lady just gave me a blank stare.

I am embarrassed b/c now I look like a deadbeat who can't afford the purse she's buying and I have too much pride to be THAT PERSON.

"Would you like me to place a call?"
"YES."

She hands me back my card and I stare it it.... It expired on 7/31. My new card has been sitting on my desk for weeks....Dumbass..

I preach to be a fatalist, so I figure this must be God's way of stopping me from giving in to temptation...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH GOD. This happened to me in Nashville, but it wasn't that the card was expired. It was that the guy at the restaurant obviously couldnt' have found his ass with two hands and a map.

The worst part was that it was in front of Brandon's family -- the first time I ever met them. So here I was looking like a total deadbeat.

Woof. I feel your pain.

myersen said...

GOW- RUH ROH! I'm sure you won them over with your sassy sarcastic self, but yeah to have an "audience".... Hoy.