Saturday, June 28, 2008

One Trump Card Down, 742 Remain

Yes, this pertains to the "Trump Card Theory" I so eloquently spelled out in the beginning of this blog. Oddly enough, this theory has manifested itself in many ways since that entry, and for the most part, it has worked in my favor.

For those of you who know me, I have issues asking for things. Whether it be for help, advice, a material object, whatever. I hate to be a burden to anyone and also don't like being told "no" or "I can't," so unless it's absolutely necessary, I'm pretty much handle things on my own.

Several weeks ago, I began searching for a condo. I'm not sure why as I'm perfectly happy where I am, but something in the back of my mind told me to investigate. I wasn't searching for anything crazy; 2 bedrooms, a garage, and a kitchen that I could actually cook in were top on my priority list.

One weekend, I found a condo that suited my needs and more. It was a little out of my price range, but I kept coming back to it. I met with a mortgage broker, sat down and priced it out and was pretty much ready to move forward-- Except for one thing; I needed my mom. This was the biggest step, most responsibility, highest risk decision I have ever made, and I didn't want to tread lightly. I tend to live life between the lines... consistent, steady, always stable and prepared if the bottom should ever drop out. Boring?- Perhaps, but for those of you who know me, my life is ANYTHING but boring.

So that Saturday afternoon, I called my mother... I strategically prepped her; attempting to detect her mood, her sense of adventure, and utilizing her new-found spontaneity since the passing of my father. I caught her at a great time as she had just spent the afternoon giggling through stores and errands with one of her best friends.

I dropped the bomb and requested she come down for the day on Sunday and head back on Sunday night- A 2 hr trip each way, no church, and no time to plan for Monday's school lessons. She quickly dismissed this saying she had too much to do, that she had NO experience in purchasing homes, and that since our tastes were similar, of course she would love it.

Instead of listing the reasons why I would like her present. I went straight for jugular, laying out the mac daddy of all trump cards. Though I will tell you I softened the blow by warning her it was coming... It went like this:

"Now Mom, I understand this is short notice, and I know you don't like making the trip in one day, but I have one thing to say, and it's big..."
"What is it, Erin?"
"You do a day trip for your grandchildren all the time, (for their b-days, baptisms, etc.) why won't you do it for me?"

----SILENCE, crickets chirping-----

Soon came laughter and then "OH YOU CREEP!" (An expression typically saved for my brother.) "You played the grand kid card!!!" More laughter came from my mother's mouth and I knew I had her convinced. She was coming.

The day actually worked out perfectly although I opted not to purchase this condo. Good friends of my mom were also in town that weekend and they met us up at the condo and went through it with me.

I currently am in contract in another condo community, but my mother has yet to see it. I made her promise though to help me pick out cabinets, flooring, and other features "at some point" this summer.....

No comments: