Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Journal

Yeah, this is going to be one of those times when I'm not exactly sure what's going to come out in this post. For as long as I could write and spell, I've kept a journal. I have managed to hold onto them from April of 1990 to now. Unfortunately, for some reason, I stopped writing back in 2004 or 2005. I don't really know why, either, b/c it was in my journal that I would seek solace and be comforted by whatever flowed from my hand. I wrote without fear of conflict or judgement because I knew the thoughts were my own and stemmed from the purest place inside of me.

I used to get teased in college about my journal. What did I write about? How could I have THAT MUCH to write when I hardly exercised my opinion? It's true. I would disappear to some random corner in the dorm, to the formal gardens, on a rooftop, anywhere where I could be alone with my thoughts.

I miss my journal. As I go back and read my entries, I CRACK UP laughing. It is so interesting to see how my thoughts were reflected by emotions and the inexperience of youth. I can tell instantly by my handwriting what kind of mood I was in.

I think for your reading pleasure, I will give you a sample of my journal when I was in middle school. -- And before I write it, I must first say-- How ridiculous is it to write, "Dear Journal, How are you? I'm fine..." I crack myself up.

Monday, August 20th, 1990 10:30 PM

Dear Journal,
HI! What's up? Not much here. I had to get up this morning at 7:00. YUK! I had a piano lesson today. (What a drag) Piano is very stupid. After piano, I stayed home and read a book. Billy and Matt came in soaked w/ mud. I helped Billy with his clothes (not that I wanted to.) I washed my hair and watched some tv for the rest of the evening. Well, Gotta Go. Bye
Erin.
PS. 7 days until 6th grade.

I'm laughing hysterically about helping "Billy with his clothes." What the hell does that mean !?!?! I was 11 years old when I wrote this, and Billy is my best friend's older brother and NOW my Insurance agent!!!! I couldn't STAND Billy when I was this age b/c he and my brother would torment me.

Yeah... Something tells me I should start writing again. Hopefully 10 years from now, I'll look back on the mistakes of my 20's and laugh like I am now about my adolescence.

No comments: